Minutes of Membership Meeting
Minutes of AWMEC membership general meeting held at Wodonga RSL on
23rd February 2021.
Meeting was opened by Steve Short (President) at 8.01 PM.
Malcolm Anderson (Secretary), David Johnston, Dexter Corbin, Paul Bullock, Max Bird,
Andrew Devereaux, George Stahl (Web Editor), Stuart Moore, Steve Milich, Alan Milich.
Number of Members Present (As per Register)
Members 55 Visitors 3
Membership Officer’s Report – Glenn Kimpton, Membership Officer
The club currently has 207 + 2 new tonight = 209 members of whom 27 are not currently
Two new members joined at the meeting & introduced themselves;
Michael Saroff & Paul Clark
Also two members who previously joined introduced themselves;
Owen Rich & Tod Donoghue
A reminder that members who have not yet paid their 2021 annual fee ($35) and do not do
so by 31 March 2021, will no longer be members of the club. Only members who are
financial on the day prior to the AGM are eligible to vote at the AGM (to be held on March
Previous Minutes (January 19th 2021 meeting)
As previously circulated by email
Moved Roger McGregor, Seconded Mike Yerbury
Business Arising from Previous Minutes
No business arising.
Editor/Web Manager’s Report
Web Editor, George Stahl was an apology however Steve noted that the club has engaged
Peter Cardamine to develop a new web site which should be completed in a month.
Welfare Officer’s Report – Mike Yerbury – Club Welfare Officer
• Len McCallum is now in intensive rehab in Canberra but hoping to get back to
Albury in a month or so.
• Mike has contacted Len & Shirly Peters recently who are going ok but not likely to
get to meetings anymore.
• Roy & Kay Whitehouse are ok.
• PO Box renewal invoice $136
• Proposal & quote to develop a new Club web site by Peter Cardamine of Chook
Signed contract with Peter Cardamine
Treasurer’s Report – David Lutton, Treasurer
Closing balance in the cheque account at 31 January 2021 was $20,207.11
January income; $258.00 raffle, $1320.00 memberships
January expenditure; $171.50 name Badges
Ride and Rally Reports – Stewie Mclean, Ride Committee Chair
• Eskdale Pub ride had 34 attending, most on bikes, a few in cars
• Mid-week coffee ride to Yackandandah pie shop had 13 bikes riding
• Change of route required for winery ride due to Vic 5 day lockdown so went to
• Lakes entrance ride 27 & 28 March, need to book at Lakes entrance RSL, some
rooms reserved, approx $85 for twin share, contact Stewie for more details
• Stewie is planning a ride to Darwin in July (approved as a club ride) which will take
14 days to get there & approx same to get back. Club plated bikes only, details to be
circulated or contact Stweie.
• Dave Merbach said that 6 members went to Show & Shine Enfield day at
• Mike Johnson reported on an invite only ride to Wangaratta for Ken Lucas’s 90
birthday & still going strong.
• Roger McGregor proposed that the committee consider making our next rally entry
free to help get things going again post Covid & subsidise other costs. the Rally
Committee & Management Committee to consider.
• Roger also proposed that the club consider running a sidecar only rally (separate to
annual rally) which Roger is prepared to organise & run. Proposed that there also be
no entry fees for this rally but participants pay their own accommodation &
expenses. Roger will put a proposal to the Committee.
• Steve Short mentioned that the Morgan Country Car Club swap meet & show &
shine is on March 28th
• Doug Flack (our Vic Roads Permits Officer) advised that he will no longer sign
paperwork for members bikes without sighting their current membership card.
• Doug also mentioned that a mate of his had his shed burn down & likely cause
tracked down to CTek battery trickle charger & according to his insurance company,
there have been several fires caused by these charges so be warned.
• Peter Leddin advised that a mate in Cootamundra is organising a 99 years not out
rally pre 47 girder fork bikes, contact Peter for details.
Guest Speaker or Project Bike
Roger introduced Ken Patten (his neighbour) as our guest speaker. Ken described himself
as having a passion for cantankerous machinery which has become a life long passion for
him. Ken grew up around Tooma (Upper Murray) on a farm, played with engines & after
leaving school, became a helicopter pilot, mostly working on cattle stations in the Northern
Territory around Kununurra. He worked on & with Bell helicopters which had horizontal 6-
cylinder engines, Ken outlined some of the intricacies of flying helicopters explaining that
keeping constant revs was the key to achieve critical centrifugal force hence stability &
Ken then started a helicopter & seaplane business in NT that he ran for 11 years before
selling to move back to Khancoban to be with family. Along the way Ken developed a
passion for International McCormack Deering tractors & has collected every model bar one
(which some of our members were fortunate enough to see a few weeks ago). Ken invited
members to visit him & see his tractors (& cars & bike) & made the point that it is an
obligation for those of us who have older vehicles to get them out & show them to those
Members wishing to present a project bike or guest speaker at a club meeting should contact
Kelly Coutts-Smith (0458 179 411) to arrange a presentation time. Text is the best way to
contact Kelly as she is not always able to take phone calls during the day due to work. Email
is also ok – Kelly’s email is email@example.com
Items currently available for purchase are sew on badges, stubby holders, and machine
badges. New caps are on order.
Steve mentioned that there were still some uncollected membership badges, please contact
NOTE – Embroidery Creations at 426 Wilson Street, Albury, can provide polo shirts bearing
the AWMEC logo.
Clubman (person) of the year – votes were taken on secret ballot & winner will be
announced at our next meeting.
2020 Bikes & Blues Raffle carried over from last years cancelled event
The raffle was drawn at the meeting;
• first prize $600 HART rider training voucher – winner Carla Farrell
• second prize $300 Wicked Virgin Hamper – winner Kent Baker
Whiteboard (Sponsored by Flack Engineering) note – there is nothing showing on the web
site until new site is completed
• Triumph 650 Bonneville 1972? And Yamaha 900 TDM – contact Dave Sinclair 0419
• Honda 90 AG bike G.C. $750; Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk4 $8,500; Yamaha 80cc road
bike $750 – contact Paul Hare 0438 265 433
• TT350 Yamaha Trail Bike pre 1990 model for NSW club plates, going or not –
contact Adrian 0438 281 721
• Kawasaki GPZ 900 fuel tank – contact Geoff 0400 920 278
First Prize – AF ratchet spanners – Won by Doug Flack
Second Prize – metric socket set – Won by Paul Birch
Third Prize – 2 bottles of wine – Won by Kevin Hammond
Fourth Prize – 2 bottles of wine – Won by Lorne Campbell
The raffle raised $230.55 gross (i.e. cost of prizes yet to be deducted for net contribution)
Next Meeting and AGM
Tuesday 23 March 2021 – Wodonga RSL rooms. 8.00pm.
The meeting was closed at 9.27pm by Steve Short.
Minutes of Membership Meeting